The surgical mask is one of the health protection measures to combat the spread of the coronavirus. Whether mandatory or not, it is recommended whenever you decide to go to a public place.
Why wear a surgical mask?
The coronavirus pandemic continues to take its toll. It is therefore vital to wear protective masks, as these complement the barrier measures. In order to limit the spread of covid-19, a wide range of masks have been made available on the market, however, surgical models are the most interesting because of the advantages they offer.
The surgical mask is effective in limiting the transmission of coronavirus, as it :
- Perfectly covers the nose to the chin.
- It offers optimal protection.
- The presence of folds makes it easy to extend the mask.
- It is disposable.
The principle of use is simple, however, you should change it regularly during the day as soon as you feel it is contaminated. Of course, it should be disposed of in a dedicated waste bin to avoid pollution.
What are the different types of respirators?
The respiratory protection masks are essential to prevent the spread of viruses and bacteria, but also to filter out harmful particles in the air, such as dust, pollen and fumes. There are different types of respiratory protection masks for different situations:
- Surgical masks are the most common. They are intended to be worn by medical personnel and individuals who may be exposed to viruses and bacteria. They effectively filter out harmful particles, but are not airtight.
- FFP2 and FFP3 masks are more effective than surgical masks because they are airtight. These masks should be worn by people who may be exposed to toxic or harmful substances, such as cigarette or combustion fumes.
- N95 masks are the most effective respirators available. They filter out at least 95 % of harmful particles from the air and are airtight. These masks are intended to be worn by medical personnel and people who may be exposed to viruses and bacteria.
Wearing a mask is recommended for anyone going to a public place. Indeed, its usefulness in the fight against the spread of the coronavirus has been proven, as it limits the transmission of the coronavirus by air. Available in pharmacies or supermarkets in boxes of 20 or 50 masks, you will have no difficulty in obtaining them.
However, be sure to choose models that meet current regulations (EN 14683 + AC: 2019) if you want to get the best protection.
How to choose a respirator?
When choosing a respirator, it is important to consider several criteria to ensure that the respirator is suitable for your situation and needs:
- The size of the mask. Make sure the mask fits properly and is airtight.
- The type of mask. There are different types of masks, such as filtering masks or cartridge masks. Make sure you choose the right type of mask for your situation.
- Duration of use. Some masks can be reused, while others should be discarded after each use. Make sure you choose a mask that is suitable for the length of time you want to use it.
- The level of protection. Ensure that the mask provides sufficient defence against harmful particles.
This type of mask is not foolproof if you do not wear it properly. So make sure you fit it properly so that it fits closely to your face. You may have been told many times, but remember that it is essential to wash your hands regularly before and after touching the mask to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
What precautions should be taken when wearing a surgical mask?
Respiratory masks are essential to prevent the transmission of viruses and bacteria. However, it is important to choose them carefully and to take certain precautions when wearing them:
- Choose a mask adapted to your skin type. Some masks can aggravate acne symptoms or skin allergies. If you have sensitive skin, choose a mask made of soft or hypoallergenic fabric.
- Aerate your skin before applying your mask. Remember to remove any make-up and cleanse your face with a product suitable for your skin type. You can then apply a moisturiser if necessary.
- Position your mask correctly to ensure that it is effective. Make sure that the mask covers your nose and mouth without leaving a gap between the bottom of your face and the top of the mask. Remember to fasten it properly behind your ears and check that it does not slip off when you breathe.
- Change your mask regularly. Remember to change your mask at least every 4 hours to ensure optimum protection against airborne contaminants and viruses.