Have you recently welcomed a newborn baby into your home? If so, it is important to provide the right conditions for the baby to grow up well. The environment in which he or she evolves must be conducive to ensuring his or her well-being.
This is why we recommend the purchase of a baby humidifier. This device has advantages that will be of great benefit to your child. But do you have any idea of the benefits that such a product can bring to your child?
- Our selection for the year 2023
- Why choose a baby humidifier?
- Which baby humidifier should I choose?
- What options should I choose for my baby humidifier?
Our selection for the year 2023
There are many baby humidifiers on the market. To make your choice easier, we have narrowed down our selection to 5 products that we believe are the best for your newborn's room in 2023.
1. Philips Avent Nanocloud Humidifier
The most efficient
The Philips Avent Nanocloud is a humidifier designed to evenly distribute humid air in the room, while reducing the spread of bacteria by 99 % compared to ultrasonic devices. With a 2 litre water tank and a noise level of only 26 dB, the Nanocloud is the perfect tool if you want to humidify a room of 25 m².
Featuring an intuitive digital interface and an internal humidistat, this humidifier allows you to choose between 40, 50 or 60 % relative humidity levels for optimum comfort. We also appreciate the presence of a night mode, ideal for preserving baby's sleep.
2. Babymoov Hygro(+) air humidifier
Our favourite ❤
The hygro (+) humidifier from babymoov has a 2.5 litre water tank and can run for up to 18 hours on its own. Designed to provide baby with the best possible environment, the babymoov incorporates all the features you would expect from a humidifier. Equipped with a fixed or automatic nightlight of 7 colours and barely audible, this product will be the ideal companion to accompany your child to the arms of Morpheus.
Among its applications, we appreciate the display of the temperature and the ambient humidity, as well as the presence of a nozzle capable of rotating 360°. All of these functions together make the babymoov a real favourite. We can only recommend it if you are looking for a practical and efficient device to ensure an optimal humidity level in your baby's room.
3. Levoit Dual 200 S air humidifier
The best value for money
The Levoit Dual 200 S is a connected humidifier designed to ensure a healthy and comfortable sleeping environment for baby. Supplied with a mobile application, this device is ideal for monitoring humidity levels in real time. Among its functions, we appreciate the presence of voice control, a timer as well as the automatic mode capable of adjusting the level of mist depending on the ambient humidity.
With a 3-litre tank and only 28dB emissions, the Dual 200 S is the right solution for you if you are looking for a modern, compact and practical instrument. The sleep-friendly Dual 200 S also features a sleep mode. Once activated, this option allows you to turn off its lights, while triggering the automatic mode, so that you and baby can sleep peacefully.
4. Elechomes ES3501 air humidifier
The Elechomes top-fill humidifier is certainly the most practical device we have tested. Whether it is on or off, you can add water without having to remove a lid. With a 4 litre water tank, the Elechomes ES3501 is perfect for a space of 30 m².
Able to diffuse a fine mist at 360°, this device is also very quiet. With a noise level of only 25 dB and a battery life of 50 hours, its design and construction will easily blend into your child's room.
5. Alacris air humidifier
The Alacris humidifier is a device with a double 360° nozzle allowing the diffusion of a light and homogeneous mist in the baby's room. Equipped with a 4 litre tank, for a 30 hour autonomy, the Alacris is also very practical thanks to its top filling.
Ultra-quiet (its noise is less than 32 dB), this product with ultrasonic technology is ideal for improving the humidity level inside the room. Supplied with a two-metre cable, its sober and elegant design combined with its functionality means that it has many assets to ensure a healthy environment in the baby's room.
Why choose a baby humidifier?
There are a multitude of benefits that your baby can enjoy if you opt for a humidifier. In fact, it will not only improve his sleep, but also avoid some of the risks associated with a dry atmosphere in the house.
Helping baby fall asleep
If there's one thing to remember about the baby humidifier, it's that it generates little noise. The white noise it creates allows your little one to fall asleep without difficulty. This is because the sound it makes reminds your child of the sounds he used to hear in the womb. These sounds can soothe and lull your child to sleep. This makes it very easy for your child to fall asleep. No matter where you place the device in the room, it will give him a good quality of sleep.
Limiting the risks of dry air
Of course, the humidifier helps your child sleep well. However, it also offers him the possibility of avoid various risks associated with breathing a too dry atmosphere. Indeed, the baby humidifier is able to relieve the symptoms of certain pathologies or diseases. In particular, it helps to reduce breathing difficulties, blocked nose problems and also combats sore throats by promoting the flow of mucus.
- Limiting the occurrence of viruses Humidifiers: Humidifiers are devices that help protect your child from the spread of viruses. In fact, based on some studies, dry air is likely to encourage their spread. So the worse the air quality in your home, the more likely your baby is to contract viruses like the flu or the common cold.
- Combating dry sinuses Humidifier: This device considerably reduces the low humidity in your child's immediate environment, as this causes dehydration of the sinuses and other painful symptoms for your child such as headaches, nasal congestion or nosebleeds. The humidifier improves the humidity level, which helps the mucus to drain away in case of a cold. Your baby can therefore breathe comfortably.
- Limiting skin problems The dry air can also have repercussions on your baby's skin and lead to dehydration of the skin. This will lead to regular scratching, which will damage the skin. You may find that the skin on his hands and lips crumbles. To reduce these risks, we recommend that you buy a humidifier to moisturise your child's skin naturally. This way you can keep it soft.
- Fighting sore throats Baby's throat: dry air can lead to sore throats, which is why a baby humidifier is recommended. It helps lubricate and soothe the throat, which is particularly fragile and irritable in cold weather. Humidifying the air will therefore help you combat coughs, hoarseness, laryngeal infections and breathing difficulties.
Are your dry air problems not just a threat to your child?
Ensuring a healthy environment in summer and winter
In general, weather conditions (summer and winter) have a direct impact on the humidity level in your baby's room. The warmer the air inside a house, the more water vapour it contains. In the evening, the temperature of the atmosphere drops drastically and the water-saturated room air reaches its dew point: the windows are therefore covered with condensation and can, over time, promote the development of odours and mould.
We advise you to buy a humidifier to avoid these situations. It will help you to to regulate the humidity level in your child's room. If you want to guarantee baby's comfort, make sure that the humidity level is between 40 and 60 % at a minimum temperature of 18°C. Indeed, air that is too dry can cause health problems that are quite annoying for baby (chapped lips, eczema, etc.).
Which baby humidifier should I choose?
There are a variety of baby humidifiers on the market, but they do not all work in the same way. An ultrasonic humidifier is based on different mechanisms than a cool mist humidifier. You should choose between these two models.
Ultrasonic humidifiers are very popular devices at the moment, especially for their technology called "nebulisation". This phenomenon allows the production of cold or warm steam in your baby's room, while being perfectly silent.
The operation of this technology is based on the use of a ceramic diaphragm. By vibrating at a high ultrasonic frequency, the diaphragm creates fine water droplets that evaporate into the air through a cold mist. This mist is often diffused by a fan.
Cold steam humidifiers
Cool mist humidifiers are able to disperse a mist of the same temperature as the ambient air in the baby's room. These are relatively powerful and can cover large areas, but have two major drawbacks: they use a lot of electricity and are particularly noisy.
In terms of their operation, it should be noted that these devices are equipped with a porous, wet wall. This wall is generally located in the axis of a fan and is supplied with water by a wick in contact with the water in the tank. When the fan is switched on, it diffuses air over the wet wall, which causes mist to be released into the baby's room.
What options should I choose for my baby humidifier?
Choosing a humidifier is more complex than it seems. To make the right choice, there are a number of criteria to consider, such as the automatic shut-off timer or the tank capacity:
- The sound level To ensure your baby's peace of mind, we advise you to choose a product that does not generate noise, such as ultrasonic humidifiers. This is because they are able to humidify the air with high frequency sound waves, inaudible to the human ear. Considered to be nebulisers, humidifiers of this type are relatively quieter than their hot or cold steam counterparts.
- The integrated hygrostat Baby humidifiers with a built-in hygrostat are available on the market. This device allows you to set the desired humidity level in the room. Units without this feature tend to humidify the air continuously, which results in excess humidity, causing condensation and mould. This function is not necessary, as you can switch off the humidifier manually. However, if necessary, we recommend the use of a hygrometer in order to control the humidity level in your baby's room as much as possible.
- Water tank capacity The volume of your baby humidifier has a considerable impact on its autonomy. The larger the volume, the longer the humidifier will work. We therefore recommend that you buy a product with a capacity of between 6 and 10 litres. You can then use it for 8 to 12 hours and humidify the air in your room all night long.
- The light Some humidifiers are equipped with a light that can be switched off by the parents on request. We recommend that you use these models, as children are not all equal when it comes to the brightness of the room at night. Some will appreciate the presence of a soft glow, while others will prefer the absence of light or the soothing effect of a soft, changing light at regular intervals.
- The timer Timer: Using a timer can be very useful for turning your humidifier on and off at a specific time of day. This automatic shut-off option will allow you to humidify your baby's room before they go to bed. However, this is not always advantageous. The water can remain in the humidifier for a long time before it is used up, which can have a negative impact on the operation of the unit and encourage the growth of bacteria.