Every year in France, several thousand people fall victim to carbon monoxide poisoning. This gas is deadly, which is why the installation of a carbon monoxide detector in a house can save your life.
What is carbon monoxide (CO)?
Carbon monoxide is a gas produced by combustion appliances, i.e. appliances that use fuel, such as wood-burning stoves, oil heaters or gas appliances. Even a small malfunction can produce carbon monoxide as a result of incomplete combustion of the fuel. This gas is particularly dangerous because it is odourless and invisible. Above a certain concentration in the air in the room, it causes poisoning and can be fatal.
What is a carbon monoxide detector?
This detector is one of the means of securing your home against accidents. It is a small device with a sensor that continuously monitors the level of carbon monoxide in the atmosphere of the room where it is installed. If the level exceeds a certain value, the detector sets off an alarm to warn you of the danger. The detectors are easy to install and run on batteries.
Please note that it is not a fire detector, it only gives the alarm if the CO level is too high. It does not ensure the smoke detection. Unlike the fire detector, it is not compulsory in the home, but it is a complementary product that increases the safety of your home and the quality of the air.
How to choose it?
There are many different models of carbon monoxide detectors and most of them are equally good, but here are some criteria to consider:
- The autonomy of the sensor
- The guarantee
- Compliance with the EN50291 standard
- The design
- The ability to interconnect different sensors for more effective alarming.
Don't go for the cheap stuff that might be of poor quality, it's your safety and your life.
How to install it?
The installation of the detector is very simple using screws or a sticker. You do not need to call in a professional for this. However, remember to install it a few metres away from the fuel appliance.
The sensor should preferably be placed on a wall at ground level rather than at ceiling level. This is because CO gas is only slightly lighter than air and spreads evenly through the air. Installing it on the ceiling can cause the alarm to lose a few minutes.
Is it necessary to have several detectors in the house?
Depending on the size of your house and the number of rooms, it is recommended to install several units. One in each room with a combustion heater and one in the most used rooms such as bedrooms.
In addition, it is recommended that you install a carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home. This will allow rapid detection and the triggering of the alarm as soon as the CO concentration becomes too high.
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
If you experience headaches, dizziness and vomiting, you may be suffering from CO poisoning. You should quickly ventilate the area, go out to to keep you safeMove away from the gas source and call for help.